Thursday, January 20, 2022

Ghost World (by Daniel Clowes)

This was a fun category that I had to think about for a bit: "Read a book whose movie or TV adaptation you’ve seen (but haven’t read the book)." Ghost World is a movie I've seen many times, but I'd never read the original comic collection, until now. 

Something about these disaffected, posturing teenagers trying to navigate a complicated adolescence really resonates with me, both in the book and in the graphic novel. Yes, Enid and Rebecca are sometimes monstrous and cruel, but they are also in pain and dealing with complex feelings about each other and other people and themselves. Their world is fascinating and perfectly sketched.

Often, I feel like I don't read graphic novels "correctly" in that I read them too fast without really looking at the artwork. (Check out Ken Parille's essay about the comic, which goes into some of the subtle touches included by Clowes here.) It's worth slowing down and appreciating all the details in this one and maybe a re-read is in order.  Very happy with the challenge giving me the excuse to pick up this book.


Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home