Monday, August 23, 2021

Why Mommy Drinks (by Gill Sims)

Okay first of all I have to get this off my chest: the book is British and based on a blog called "Why Mummy Drinks."  They changed the title for the U.S. market, ala Sorcerer's Stone/Philosopher's Stone. As a marketer I understand this; as a reader I find this condescending. 

This was loaned to me by a mom friend who found it hilarious. It's pretty funny! Very Shopaholic meets Bridget Jones, although the main character does one thing that made me really angry at her until of course it all worked out in the end. I also find it enraging that although she points out the horrible imbalance of household work between her and her husband, nothing actually changes at all at any point.  I guess it's relatable for lots of women but it made me real mad at the husband character and of course, as always, the patriarchy.

Overall it was light enough and funny enough that I would read more in the series. Maybe the hopes that Simon actually learns to pull his weight in one of the later books. (He won't.)

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home