Sunday, March 17, 2019

Mini-Break Books

I took a very quick trip to Los Angeles to attend a Crazy Ex-Girlfriend concert,  and finished a couple of books in the process. Here they are!

 Autoboyography (by Christina Lauren)

 A young adult M/M romance that feels like excellently written fanfiction, especially the ending. The leads fall in love instantly, true love conquers all, etc. Definitely good moments but I definitely understand what my friend Jen talks about when she rants about straight white women fetishizing gay boys. I didn't feel that in Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda but I definitely feel that here.

The Dreamers (by Karen Thompson Walker)

I LOVED THIS NOVEL. This is a story about a deadly "sleep virus" that infects a California town, and the novel follows various inhabitants of that town as they deal with the crisis, including new parents, a college student, two girls with a survivalist father, a doctor, and a college professor whose husband is near-catatonic in a nursing home. A bit slow paced, but it contains so many beautiful meditations on love and parenthood and really sticks the landing. One of my top reads of the year so far.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home