Friday, July 21, 2017

Among the Janeites: A Journey Through the World of Jane Austen Fandom Novel (by Deborah Yaffe)

I enjoyed this exploration of the fandom around Jane Austen -- it reminded me for the 100th time how much I want to do a Jane Austen-themed driving tour around England, because I was extremely jealous that she got to see Jane's cottage, a lock of her hair, and even Norland Park from the wonderful Ang Lee Sense & Sensibility. It also made me realize how long it's been since I've reread Northanger Abbey.  In addition to all the envy she inspires, Yaffe writes with erudition, intellect, and humor about one of my favorite authors ever. What's not to like?

"Austen’s work is not just a Rorschach test, a collection of inkblots with no meaning beyond the mind of the viewer. The rich diversity of responses to Austen captures something real about her—the depth and complexity of her writings, which, like diamonds held up to sunlight, reflect something different from every angle. Her stories are not blank canvases onto which we project ourselves; they are complicated, ambiguous pictures of lived reality. We all find ourselves in her because, in a sense, she contains us all."

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger ljhliesl said...

This is the book with the fellow who posits that Emma's Jane Fairfax and John Knightley know each a little too well, right? I loved that the author covered fans both hinged and un-.

9:41 AM  
Blogger Nimble said...

I recently read All Roads Lead to Austen by Amy Smith. It wasn't a great book but I am very impressed with the author's career management and her ability to get paid for taking a sabbatical to Latin America to talk to folks there about Jane Austen.

If you haven't already, do read Emma Thompson's memoir written during the shoot for Sense and Sensibility. She's a hoot. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/37557.The_Sense_and_Sensibility_Screenplay_and_Diaries

7:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home