Friday, June 23, 2017

My (Not So) Perfect Life (by Sophie Kinsella)

"Women's contemporary fiction" (aka chick lit) is one of my favorite genres to listen to in audio format, as it is breezy and fun, and not too mentally taxing while driving. It made my commute much more pleasant when I was listening to the story of Cat/Katie, aspiring branding genius who idolizes but also resents her boss's glamorous, seemingly perfect life.

Katie is quite a sympathetic character throughout and is intelligent and funny. (In other words, she is not a vain nitwit like the Shopaholic protagonist.) Her relationships are developed well and feel plausible (except a bit of the Demeter relationship didn't feel quite earned, but I enjoyed it so I'll let it slide). Her emotional life is complex. Demeter, the boss who is more than what she appears on the surface, is a fabulous character too.  I particularly like how this book, although it does contain a romance, really focuses on the relationship between Cat and Demeter, and the romance is very cute, but secondary.

As for the audiobook format, the narrator is excellent as well. Overall a fun lady fic pick.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home