Tuesday, December 30, 2014

A Few More Agatha Christies

I read three more Christies over Christmas vacation: Peril at End House, Crooked House, and A Murder Is Announced. The first two are Poirot mysteries, the last is Miss Marple. They are all good, though I think my favorite (despite its somewhat convoluted denouement) is End House. A Murder Is Announced suffered a bit from the fact that one of the other Christies has a similar ending, and enough similarities that I saw the big reveal coming. Not all of it, though, and it was clever!

I pulled all of these titles off of some "best of Agatha Christie" list somewhere; I think next I'll re-read Orient Express and Ackroyd. Even though I know how they conclude, it's fun to see how Christie sets up the readers. 

These might be the last books I finish this year (Bone Clocks, Americanah, and Wise Blood are in progress but will extend into 2015, I'm guessing) so a wrap-up will follow shortly. I read a lot of excellent books this year.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger BC said...

I reread most of the Christies a few years ago (in the stupidest way possible, by buying new Kindle editions when I already have them all in paperback in my storage unit). I have read them like a dozen times each, and I can't say that I thought they were super good or anything on this most recent reread, but I will probably read them a dozen more times before I die.

9:57 AM  
Blogger mo pie said...

I do the same thing with books. Kindle editions are just so handy! and they're right there! Just one click and you don't have to go dig through storage to find them!

4:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home