Sunday, January 02, 2011

The Making of a Chef: Mastering Heat at the Culinary Institute of America (by Michael Ruhlman)

I've been going Top Chef crazy this season, so I picked up this book for hopefully a good insidery look at cheffing. I was a little disappointed because the author didn't actually go through the full training at CIA; he went in as a reporter, and dipped in and out of various classes. So you do get some good day-by-day insight into some of the classes, but not all of them. There's quite a lot in there about the tension between his reporter role and his desire to be a cook, which is to me the least interesting thing about the book.

My other minor issue with the book is that he doesn't always explain terms. I had to look up the definition of, say, "confit." I did learn a lot doing that, but I would have preferred a few more quick or slightly clearer explanations along the way. I guess I'd say it was a pretty good book that didn't wow me as much as it could have. Having just done my year-end wrapup, I can guarantee I won't remember much about it this time next year!

2 Comments:

Blogger Amy Huff said...

I really liked The Sharper Your Knife, The Less You Cry by Kathleen Flinn. She talks about letting her corporate gig go and attending Le Cordon Bleu with the good and the bad.

4:24 PM  
Blogger mo pie said...

I read that one! I liked it too! :)

4:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home