Monday, August 23, 2021

New Suns: Original Speculative Fiction by People of Color (ed. Nisi Shawl)

I love speculative fiction and was really excited about this collection. I wouldn't say it's all speculative fiction, there's a good dose of fantasy in here as well, which is not my favorite, but overall I enjoyed this and am excited to know there is a second volume in the works. This was for the RHC category "an SFF anthology edited by a person of color." I normally don't read short stories and I'm so glad the Read Harder Challenge nudged me towards this anthology.

My absolute favorite story here is "The Robots of Eden" by Anil Menon. Pure speculative fiction (what if you could have an artificial brain installed to help control your emotions) with an unreliable narrator in a near-future dystopia. Basically all my favorite things! Menon published a young adult novel and I look forward to giving it a try. 

I also enjoyed "Come Home to Atropos" by Steven Barnes, "The Fine Print" by Chinelo Onwualu, "unkind of mercy" by Alex Jennings, "Burn the Ships" by Alberto Yáñez, "Give Me Your Black Wings Oh Sister" Silvia Moreno-Garcia, "The Shadow We Cast Through Time" by Indrapramit Das, "Harvest" by Rebecca Roanhorse, and "Kelsey and the Burdened Breath" by Darcie Little Badger. Definitely more hits than misses for me in this collection.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home