Wednesday, July 21, 2021

Eligible (by Curtis Sittenfeld)

I thought this "modern retelling of Pride and Prejudice" would be a fun choice for the RHC category of books set in the Midwest (it's set in Cincinnati).  (As a side note, I consider the Midwest to be
Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio
. But actually now that I look at a map, none of those are in the western half of the country.  Maybe it should be called the Mideast?) 

Eligible is a breezy read, funny in parts, quite clever in parts, but also uncomfortable at times. Racism, fatphobia and bigotry are used as punchlines and the Black and trans characters are very tokenistic. I feel like Sittenfeld had good intentions but it's cringey in the execution.  The ending also feels very rushed (strange considering how long the book is; I think she maybe is adhering a bit too faithfully to the pacing of the original) and in 2013, I don't think two characters are going to decide to get married before they even have begun dating each other, so some of the modernization needed work.  

(Also one of the best characters is named Ham, short for Hamilton, and it took me an embarrassingly long time to figure out that it's because Wickham has been split into two characters here, and the other one is named Jasper Wick. Duh. )

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home