Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Strong Poison (by Dorothy L. Sayers)

Recommended in the Goodreads group for the Read Harder Challenge category of cozy mystery, and I was excited because I love cozy mysteries! Also, this beat out Agatha Christie on the rec list, and I love Christie!

Unfortunately I did not love this. I enjoy being misdirected and surprised at the end of a mystery, and this solution was super obvious. I was a third of the way into the book and wrote it down: who did it, how, and why. I thought this must be a red herring because I never figure these out, and maybe there would be a good twist! Nope, it's all as obvious as it seems.

The characters are fun and the writing is witty, but the mystery itself wasn't fun. I've never read any Sayers before so am curious if this is how her books always are. If the plot were better, I would happily read more about these characters.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home