Sunday, November 20, 2016

Crocodile on the Sandbank (by Elizabeth Peters)

I jumped the gun on my vacation reading by finishing the first book in the Amelia Peabody series, Crocodile on the Sandbank.  I was downloading Kindle samples as per usual, trying to find something to read on vacation. Given my current mood, some light genre fiction sounded good. I decided to sample this one a little further. And further. And further. And then, oops, I finished it.

This book fit the bill perfectly. Elizabeth Peters is an Egyptologist, so her setting (a trip down the Nile and an archaeological dig of Akhnaten 's palace) is fully realized and detailed. Plus, Akhnaten is my favorite pharaoh! The unspooling of the mystery is fun, but secondary to the wonderful main characters, starting with Amelia herself, a smart, independent, feminist, independently wealthy Englishwoman in 1880. But all four main characters are delightful.

This is the first novel in a 15-book series -- I wonder how many of these I will burn through while on vacation! I'm assiduously saving the second one, which I just downloaded, for the first leg of our trip.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Maureen said...

I haven't read this book in years, now I feel like I need to revisit it! I think I read through 8 or 9 of the books, it might be fun to start at the beginning and work my way through the whole thing. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

11:20 AM  
Blogger Maureen said...

Just wanted to thank you, I've been tearing through these, and they are exactly what I need right now. I love her descriptions of the desert, I feel like I am there.

6:44 PM  
Blogger mo pie said...

Hi Maureen! I felt the same way, I really needed something soothing and genre and a million miles removed from the real world. I'm enjoying Ramses and the cat Bastet in the third one :)

5:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home