Friday, August 20, 2010

Sensible Kate (by Doris Gates)

This is technically a re-read, as it's a children's book that I remembered from when I was a kid. I couldn't remember the title, just that the girl on the cover was a redhead with pigtails, and that someone painted her portrait. And then one of those "what is that book??" websites came up with the title! So I ordered it! And then read it!

Re-reading it, it's kind of funny what an Anne of Green Gables ripoff it is. Redheaded, freckled orphan who thinks she's "homely" leaves a home where she's made to do housework and take care of babies, and moves in with a nice older couple. But it's set in a more modern time period, and takes some twists that you wouldn't necessarily expect. Also, California, not Canada, so--totes different. It was fun to revisit this little nostalgic book from my childhood.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home