Saturday, February 20, 2021

Breasts and Eggs (Mieko Kawakami)

This is "a non-European novel in translation" for the Read Harder Challenge and also a selection from this year's Tournament of Books. On top of all that, I loved it! It's like the litfic trifecta.

This book is described as a "psychological novel" concerned with the bodies of women. It focuses on everything from breast augmentation to fertility, from asexuality to the creative process. I loved the style, the characters, and the Tokyo setting, which reminded me of what it felt like to visit there. 

I really like the description of "psychological novel" and I think that's a style I really enjoy. There's something reminiscent of The Wings of the Dove or My Year of Rest and Relaxation or The Remains of the Day. This very interior, meditative approach that is still so compelling. Luster was like that too, except less successful overall. But the interiority is something I enjoyed there too.

This is one of those finds that would have passed me by without the Tournament of Books, and one reason I love participating every year.  Not perfect, but my favorite read of the year so far!

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home